Friday 30 November 2012

A weekend away

Recently we spent a couple of nights with a large group of friends at a crib(small rustic Kiwi holiday house) on the beautiful south coast of the Catlins.  This was the view from the house, so peaceful and relaxing.  Note the fence to keep any visiting seals from your front lawn .......






We were lucky enough to see a little yellow-eyed penguin, also known as hoiho, making his way back up the beach at dusk one night.   I hope you can see him in front of the rocks in these pictures.



The following morning we went for a wander, and saw where he(or maybe she!) was going to........ back to the nest behind the safety of this fence.......


We also found these penguin tracks heading back out to sea...... clearly penguins get out of bed earlier than we did!

A wonderful weekend with great friends, if only it happened more often........

Most of my stitching time in the last couple of weeks has been working on my SSCS gift for Chookyblue's exchange which has headed off on a long journey to ?????



There has been so much happening here lately.  I have recently retired from my off-farm job so that I can spend a lot more time working on the farm.  I was thoroughly spoiled with a farewell gift of a beautiful dress ring, which was a combined gift from the board members, colleagues and some of our lovely residents.  We had a fantastic meal out together, where I was treated to beautiful flowers and some very kind speeches..... felt more than a little embarrassed by it all.  I will miss my little job, but know I have made the best choice for my family.  I am looking forward to being at home with the girls during the upcoming summer holidays, without having those few days a week away from the farm.  Who knows, I might even  find some more stitching and gardening time amongst the farm work!  (I wish....)

This weekend is our local A & P show, where I will be helping out as a steward in the Craft and Flower show.... looking forward to that, it's always a great day out.

I hope you have a lovely weekend too........ will see you on the other side.......... Nicky

19 comments:

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

The Catlins is certainly a very beautiful place to visit Nicki, ... and change is a good thing, I am sure your girls will be happy to have you about for the summer months. Enjoy your A & P show!

Siobhán said...

Your trip looks like it was so fun. I did a double take at the fence to keep seals out. How neat! I loved the pictures. Now I'm going to google the area that you were in. Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your 'retirement' from your one job to work more at the farm!

Fiona said...

lovely pictures of your weekend at the beach... all the best for your 'retirement' .... now the fun can really start!!! - so does the busy ness ...
Hugz

Christine M said...

What a lovely place for a mini break. How exciting to see a little penguin on the beach. Congratulations on your outside job retirement. I'm sure the girls are going to love having you home with them over the holidays.

Katrina said...

What lovely photos Nicky, sounds like a wonderful break. Have fun at the A & P Show!

Grit said...

Fantastic pictures.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Susan said...

Looks like a beautiful place to spend a weekend away. The little penguin tracks are very cute and make a lovely photo. Enjoy being home.

Vickie said...

Oh, thank you Nicky! I would never have seen or known these things. So glad you shared.

Raewyn said...

Beautiful photos, Nicky. How lovely to know how appreciated you were at your work -- but I'm sure you will even busier 'down on the farm'!

Michelle said...

Gorgeous photos. What a great place for a get away! Congrats on the retirement! I do hope you find some time for stitching!
Michelle

suzitee said...

Great photos Nicky... I especially love the little penguin tracks! Best of luck with your new "work schedule", and hopefully you will find more time for the things (and people) you love :)

Anthea said...

These are lovely pics Nicky, what a great time you had...
It must have been hard to finish up your job, hopefully you will get much enjoyment from spending more time on the farm...
x

Lynda said...

Looks like a wonderful place for a getaway. Wishing you lots of happiness - it's a big change but wonderful.

Tatkis said...

Wonderful photos - you'd had a great time!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous scenery. Looks like a lovely place.

Jindi's Cottage said...

What a gorgeous place to spend the weekend...and to see a penquin too, love penquins they are do darn cute...ooooh where are those pretty packages off to, lucky recipient, SSCS is so much fun...enjoy your "retirement" and being at home with the family on the farm...

Anonymous said...

Love your photos Nicky. We weren't able to fit the Caitlins into our whirlwind trip, which is a shame, but you never know...maybe on that next trip to Stewart Island. I used to spend hours at a beach in Oamaru waiting for the yellow eyeds to come in from the sea in the late afternoon. The photos of the footprints are very cute. I thought of you as we made our way down to Invercargil.

Cat said...

Thanks for the kind comment you left on my blog it is always lovely to hear from people who follow and to know I'm not talking to myself!
Ahhhhh the Caitlins I have never got down that far, although my Mr B tells me it is perfectly perfect! I giggled at crib *smile* and figured it must be the same as bach!
What a lovely blog you have and hello from your latest follower!

Charlotte Scott said...

Your scenery shots are beautiful, so peaceful looking. And I have to laugh at the pigeon-toed penguin footprints!

Related Posts with Thumbnails